70

Thursday, June 16, 2011

That's how old my mamacita would've turned today, if she were still alive.

It's hard to believe that it's been almost 7 years since she passed away. Her last birthday she celebrated here on earth was her 63rd. She actually celebrated it twice. She first celebrated in south Florida with Gramma, Uncle Harry, Aunt Carolyn, and my cousin Heather. Then two days later, on her actual birthday, she celebrated in North Carolina with me, Patrick, and my Uncle Bob. She was so sick and eating very little. But she still let us celebrate with her. She was such a trooper.

My mom loved carnations, the simpleton that she was. So every year on my mother's birthday (and on the anniversary of her passing) Patrick brings home a bunch of carnations. I just love them and what they represent- a love for the simple things in life.

Today Patrick took the day off from work to spend with me and the kids. We went on a little boat ride through the Banana River lagoon. We saw lots of manatees and birds. It may have been close to 100 degrees, but the breeze and the shade of the pontoon boat were quite comfortable. It was so nice and relaxing.

Then we went to lunch at this little Cuban restaurant that I've been itching to go to. It seemed they were short staffed, but the food was fabulous.

The summer months are always so hard for me when it comes to handling the loss of my mother. It starts back at the beginning of May each year, when I know my other isn't there to celebrate my birthday with me or my sister....and I have no mother to send a Mother's Day card to. It was the end of May, seven years ago, that we realized my mother was not responding to treatments and that I had to leave Patrick to take care of her. We celebrated her last birthday on earth, June 16th, 2004. Then she spent the next 10 weeks living with us, until she passed away on August 10th.

That was the toughest summer of my life. And yet, I can't imagine going through it all without the peace of Christ in my heart and the support of my loving husband, Patrick. I remember telling Patrick that I couldn't imagine facing the loss of a loved one without the Lord holding my hand through it all. How do you do it? Where is the hope? Where is the peace? Where is the comfort? It can only be found in our heavenly Father.

I'm so thankful for a husband who is so sensitive and caring during this difficult time. God has truly blessed my socks off with an amazing man by my side.

So Happy 70th Birthday, Mom! My precious Gator Mom. I love you like crazycakes.

(Pictured left to right: me, Mom, Deb, and Gramma; Christmas 2002)

4 comments:

Barbara 6/17/2011  

Dear Eva - my heart joins yours in your sorrow and love for your Mom - she sure was a joy to be around - always a smile on her sweet face - such love she had for her girls - and pride in your accomplishments. Love
Barbara

michele 6/19/2011  

Thinking of you all with love and hope for being less upset. Great picture!

Deb 6/19/2011  

Thanks sweet sis! Leah helped me to pick out carnations for mom. Pink ones!

Cheri 6/19/2011  

What a sweet post. I have my mother, but lost my father, suddenly and unexpectedly. So, every Father's Day, I feel the same you feel about Mother's Day. I miss him, his influence, his love. Oh, but someday we'll have a reunion!

About This Blog

This blog is the place where shared our lives while waiting to bring our daughters Madeline and Havi home from China. (Our son Caleb was already home before this blog began.) It is now the place where we continue to share our life experiences, both big and little, as we try to glorify God and raise our 3 dumplings from China.

Feel free to join us as we journey through life, while I try to capture our days...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP