Evening at the river

Sunday, September 9, 2012

We spent a lot of late afternoons/early evenings down at the park by the river this summer, thanks in large part to the photography class I took.  It not only pushed me past my comfort zone, it also pushed me right out of my house!  The dumplings didn't mind a bit, though we still had to make sure we got our swimming in, too.

Evenings by the river are the perfect opportunity to shoot silhouettes. This one was my favorite of the night.
The sunset wasn't as spectular as the night a few weeks back when the kids were grouchy, but it was still lovely.

And it got lovelier as the night went on.


Daddy even managed to sneak into a shot.

I just love, love, love silhouettes.  I love the challenge of removing clutter from an image and capturing the the shape of an object or person.  Silhouettes evoke mystery.  Love that.  And don't think that silhouettes are just for sunrise or sunset.  I'm also enjoying shooting silhouettes during the daytime too, like a few shots I took when we were vacationing in Miami.

I shot all these images with my Nikon D700 using my 50mm 1.4 lens.
My settings for the first shot were f/8 SS 1/250 ISO 250.

For more great photos, visit Stefanie and Rebecca's blogs.
Ni Hao Yall 

15 comments:

Deb 9/09/2012  

Girl, you know how much I love your photography! I especially love the action shot of Caleb! I will have to search out some shilouette sites and give this a try!

Brandi 9/09/2012  

Awesome!

tiarastantrums 9/09/2012  

oh how i love silhouettes!!

Molly 9/09/2012  

These are simply stunning... I shall see if I can find a location to try some of my own.

Mollyxxx

Susan 9/09/2012  

What precious pictures!!!

MG Atwood 9/09/2012  

These are all wonderful! I've got to get this done!!! Have a wonderful week.

lisacng @ expandng.com 9/09/2012  

Beautifully crisp silhouettes!!! Great action! I thought the sunset was gorgeous and the light from the setting sun like a beacon

Kate 9/09/2012  

Beautiful silhouettes!

Teri 9/09/2012  

I agree I love silhouettes! Beautiful shots!

Nancy 9/09/2012  

You NAILED sillouettes girlfriend!!!! love love love that first image. But you knew that. What will I do without my friend in class? Who will I sit next to now? It won't be the same.
nancy

hennymats 9/10/2012  

love those silhouettes! And a beautiful sunset, too.

Kim Cunningham 9/10/2012  

I love these! You have some gorgeous colors captured here!

Gina @ Gigi Marie Photography 9/12/2012  

These came out so incredibly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I love silhouettes & then adding that amazing sky- Great job!

Great Scott 9/15/2012  

hey lady. i see that we are both coming back to our blogs after some upheaval in our lives. it's good to see your photos - they are always some of my favorites! hope things are settling down for you and that house hunting/selling is going ok. and, when you get a second, email me (through my blog) as I'd like to ask you a couple of photography and homeschooling questions. all the best to you & the dumplings! xo

Stephanie 9/21/2012  

STUNNING pictures! The color of the sky...the profiles...love all of them. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

About This Blog

This blog is the place where shared our lives while waiting to bring our daughters Madeline and Havi home from China. (Our son Caleb was already home before this blog began.) It is now the place where we continue to share our life experiences, both big and little, as we try to glorify God and raise our 3 dumplings from China.

Feel free to join us as we journey through life, while I try to capture our days...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP