Winter Carnival

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I know. It sounds odd, right?  Most folks attend carnivals in the fall.  Count us among them.  However, we also have the opportunity to hit up a carnival in the winter.  And that's because dear (second) cousins of mine  live in South Florida in a community that is half snow birds.  So what do you do when you have all these snow birds down for the winter and all their grandkids that come visit during their Winter Breaks from school?  Well, you put on a one-day carnival, of course!

My cousins Ed and Eileen live in a golf community.  And for one day out of the year, the driving range is converted into a midway.  This year the temps were in low 70s, and the weather couldn't have been better!
After riding all the mini rides (they had some enormous, vomit inducing ones too!), the dumplings decided they wanted snow cones.
After cooling off, they found some hula hoops and got to work shaking their hips.  It wasn't enough to hula hoop with just one hoop.  Nope.
Caleb eventually had five going for a brief period.  Now I know this shot makes it look like Madeline was doing it, but that's because I had a fast shutter speed.  She sure was cute trying though.  

We had such a lovely day.  Ed and Eil, you're the best!  And I sure hope that next year we'll have three dumplings at the carnival.

Well, I have been spending copious amounts of time on the computer this week trying to take a crash course in cake baking and decorating.  I was not impressed at all with the birthday cake I made for Jesus.  (I won't bore you with the details.)  However, I still wanted to make Caleb a birthday cake this year.  Can you believe this precious boy is turning 8 on Saturday???  I still can't!  Anyway, I have found the buttercream recipe that I have been longing for.  It's actually a Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  (I didn't even know there was such a thing until this week.)  Well, I had a go at making it today.  Can I just say delish?!  Light, fluffy and not too sweet.  Just perfect.  I really don't like how sweet buttercream frosting is when made with confectioner's sugar.  Nope.  It's too sweet for me.  So I love this new frosting, but before I can call Caleb's cake a success, I still need to actually make the cake and decorate it! lol.  In the next few days, I'll let you know if steps 2 and 3 are as successful as step 1.   Well, for his birthday celebration this year, we plan on taking him to see The Mouse one day, and we're also going to go roller skating with a few friends and family.  That means a lot of birthday photo fun!  He can't wait, and neither can we!



7 comments:

Mary Gene Atwood 1/10/2013  

Oh how I love the colors in these photos. You captured the enjoyment and excitment perfectly.

Kevin and Michele 1/10/2013  

Yum, can you share your recipe?! I have been wanting to try to make some for my cakes! The stuff in a can doesn't cut it for decorating. and now I have a new mixer...!

Fannie 1/10/2013  

Sounds like you guy are keeping busy!! No referral yet huh?? I'm practically stalking your blog to see if there's news!! Lol!!

You are making Florida look so awesome! It's #3 on our dream sheet for miltary orders! We go down 2-3 times a year to visit Mickey and escape New York, but oh to enjoy 70 degrees without having to fly somewhere in the middle of winter? That sounds heavenly!! ;)

Good luck with the cake! Every year I consider doing it myself then get scared & order it!!

lisacng @ expandng.com 1/10/2013  

Love the two thumbs up on the bikes! And great artistic shot of the ferris wheel-like ride. What a great day in 70 weather!! So jealous!!! I can't believe Caleb is 8. Wishing you and the family a fun weekend!

Kim C. 1/11/2013  

These are so beautiful! I love the tones in these images. Looks like a ton of fun! We are headed to Disney soon, and I'm so torn on whether to bring my camera. Last time is was a whirlwind pace, and I felt I couldn't keep up! But, oh how I would love images!

Nancy 1/12/2013  

You story teller you! No words needed with these amazing shots!
and the cake sounds DELISH!
nancy

Deb 1/13/2013  

I so wish we could've joined you guys. Next year we will make it a point to ensure we get the time off. Love ya!

Blog Archive

About This Blog

This blog is the place where shared our lives while waiting to bring our daughters Madeline and Havi home from China. (Our son Caleb was already home before this blog began.) It is now the place where we continue to share our life experiences, both big and little, as we try to glorify God and raise our 3 dumplings from China.

Feel free to join us as we journey through life, while I try to capture our days...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP