Finding joy in the simple things

Sunday, May 20, 2012

This is NOT a post I want to write.
In fact, it has taken me all week to get up the strength to type it.

If you've been following the blog for a little while, 
you know that my sister's dear friend, Gina, 
was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer.

For the last year and a half, she has been fighting hard.
She has had very little good news throughout her journey.
When one treatment option has failed, she tries another.
Two months ago, she found out that the medication from the clinical trial she was on wasn't working.
So she went back to regular chemotherapy drugs.
This week she found out they're not working either.
Now she doesn't know what to do.
She's running out of options.

As she has experienced these ups and downs, she has done her best
to find joy in the simple things, like taking her kids to school, eating lunch with them,
or laying in the hammock.

Seriously, don't we all need to stop and enjoy those simple, every day moments?

So here are some every day moments I captured of my dumplings one afternoon.

1. Watching the birds that hang out in our front yard.



2. Sharing some love.



3. Coloring a picture.





4. Watching a BrainPop video on the iPad.


Madeline just had to show me her "new" boo boo.

And I just ADORE this shot- how Madeline is resting her head on her brother's shoulder.


And yes, that is a yogurt mustache Madeline is sporting in these photos.
Real life.  Simple moments.
I'm cherishing these in my heart.

How about you?
What are you doing to enjoy the simple, every day moments?
And if you have a moment, would you please lift up Gina and her family in prayer?
Thanks a bunch.





Linking to:

20 comments:

Toni 5/20/2012  

Thanks for the reminder Eva. I also have a good friend who is on her third bout with cancer, and is now on "experimental" drugs, since there is nothing left to try. Last year my goal was to enjoy the simple local beauty here, like taking my kids to watch the sunset at the beach (of course, snuggled under a blanket here), or stopping to pick and enjoy wild blackberries. Like you, the simple things, and better when done with my family. Hugs!

Deb 5/20/2012  

Love your simple moments. Thank you for updating everyone on Gina. I know that this news has been difficult for the both of us. I have been learning alot from her and you about enjoying the simple moments. Love you,m girl! Thanks again for a fabulous weekend. I wish we lived closer...

MRivas 5/20/2012  

Im sorry for your sister's friend, I hope she can fight this and get better. I haven't been following the story, my first time here and I just want to say that your pictures are beautiful, and that these simple moments are worth capturing.

Gina @ Gigi Marie Photography 5/20/2012  

I'm so sorry to hear that. I completely agree. Seems more & more I am hearing of this & it really makes me stop to appreciate everything around me. This pull at my soul.

Kim Cunningham 5/20/2012  

So sorry to hear this about your friend. I agree about cherishing the things that matter.

Dina Lettre 5/20/2012  

Precious photos! LOVE the lighting in the last few.

Saying a prayer for Gina now. XO!

Janel 5/20/2012  

Such a good reminder to treasure the NOW. :) Blessings, Janel

Jessica 5/20/2012  

Capturing the simple moments is what I adore about photography. You've done a wonderful job capturing these of your children!

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Saying a prayer for her now.

Jess

Sara Garcia 5/20/2012  

Your pictures are beautiful and your words are so touching and true. Thank you for this reminder! I'm stopping by from Simple Things Sunday and love your blog!

rebecca 5/21/2012  

such a lovely post Eva...really makes one stop and think. i appreciate your words and your sweet photos. :) thanks for sharing this week.

Stephanie 5/21/2012  

Oh, that is so true...to just enjoy the normal, simple things in life.
Thanks for that reminder!

Pradeepa 5/21/2012  

Very sorry to hear about your sister's friend. Such instances do remind us to enjoy simple things in life. Your dumplings look so sweet.

Elena 5/21/2012  

These are all great captures of simple moments! Just lovely!

lisacng 5/21/2012  

I'm so sorry to hear about your good friend! May she continue to find strength and perseverance and have such supportive friends like you. It is a good reminder to enjoy the little things! I love how bro and sis are loving on each other! Great depth of field!

tinajo 5/21/2012  

So sorry to hear about your friend, I hope something turns up. :-(

Lovely pictures.

Jaymi 5/21/2012  

I really love the last few shots with the backlighting. beautiful!

Susan 5/21/2012  

Eva,

First off, I'm so very sorry to read about your friend. I'll keep her in my prayers.

and those pictures. Just stunning, each one.

Your children are so beautiful...

Melissa Bliss Rich 5/21/2012  

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for healing and comfort for her and for her family. I can't imagine how frustrating and terrifying that must be for them.

How right you are about cherishing the simple moments and the time we have together. It is a blessing not to be taken for granted.

Your photos and your children are beautiful!

Great Scott 5/22/2012  

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's friend. It's so true - these terrible tragedies remind us to slow down and enjoy the simple joys in our own life. Thanks for sharing the everyday beauty in your life with us...and saying prayers for your sister's friend.

Jancy 5/29/2012  

I'm sorry to hear the news about Deb's friend. It is horrible to hear. I can't even imagine actually going through it. Unfortunately it is the bad moments that remind us to spend more treasured time with our family. I am praying for her family and friends.

Blog Archive

About This Blog

This blog is the place where shared our lives while waiting to bring our daughters Madeline and Havi home from China. (Our son Caleb was already home before this blog began.) It is now the place where we continue to share our life experiences, both big and little, as we try to glorify God and raise our 3 dumplings from China.

Feel free to join us as we journey through life, while I try to capture our days...

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP